Unable to update - Front Pin Need an Update

Hello, On the "Front Pin" app, I am prompted with a "Front Pins Need an Update". When tapping on the [Update] button, interface returns to the Home screen without appearing to have perform an update. Restarting, resetting, and emptying all cache with restart doesn't help.

Device Info: Kinoma Software: 7.1.31 Operating System: 1.1

Any advise appreciated.

Thanks! TC

Answers

• Hi TC,

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with the front pins update for Kinoma Create. I'd be happy to help you diagnose the problem and get it fixed.

As a first step: are you comfortable working with the Linux command line? If so, I can walk you through the process to try applying the update directly. If not we'll come up with another solution for you.

Cheers!

— Andy

• Hi Andy, Thanks..I am comfortable working with Linux.

Best regards, TC

• edited November 2015 Answer ✓

TC,

I've identified the problem and will correct it in our next point release of the Kinoma Create software. Thank you for your report!

In the meantime, if you would like to fix the problem directly, please follow these steps:

• Ensure that no sensors/LEDS/etc. are plugged into your device.

• Telnet into your device. You can find the IP address on the home screen's WiFi tile. The login is root and the password is Kinoma123

• Execute the following commands:

cd /tmp

wget http://andycarle.com/FrontPins.hex

pic_programmer FrontPins.hex

You should see some status messages while the update happens, which will look something like this:

Preparing for PIC 0
    Writing Data...
    100%
    Verifying Data...
    Write 0xe984 to configuratation word 1... Return 0x2984
    Configuration word1 OK!
    Write 0xd9ff to configuratation word 2... Return 0x19ff
    Configuration word2 OK!
    OK!
    Preparing for PIC 1
    Writing Data...
    100%
    Verifying Data...
    Write 0xe984 to configuratation word 1... Return 0x2984
    Configuration word1 OK!
    Write 0xd9ff to configuratation word 2... Return 0x19ff
    Configuration word2 OK!
    OK!

• When that finishes, restart the Kinoma Software with the following command:

killall Kpl

You should now be good to go! Please give that a shot and let me know if you have any trouble. And my apologies again for the inconvenience.

— Andy

• Hi Andy, Thanks for the fast turnaround. Happy to report that all the steps provided above worked out perfectly for my device. All is well now.

Thanks again! - TC