Font engine is rendering text too small

I'm not sure if this is only a Windows issue or not, but all of my fonts seem to be rendering significantly smaller than my Adobe Illustrator file is showing them. I've installed the fonts correctly in Windows, and can confirm that the proper font is displaying. However, if I define the font size to be 40 in both Kinoma and Adobe Illustrator, my Kinoma font is much smaller. I have a side-by-side screenshot but don't see a way to attach this to my post.

Is this a known issue? Any fixes? Our design team needs to validate the layout of our screens and they all look incorrect right now...

Comments

• Hi,

Please email your screenshot to me at will@kinoma.com and I'll see what I can do to find you an answer.

Cheers,

Will

• My email attempt failed for that address...

The following message to will@kinoma.com was undeliverable. The reason for the problem: 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'5.1.1 will@kinoma.com: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table'

Final-Recipient: rfc822;will@kinoma.com Action: failed Status: 5.0.0 (permanent failure) Remote-MTA: dns; [64.13.153.67] Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 550-'5.1.1 will@kinoma.com: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table' (delivery attempts: 0)

• Sorry about that, the issue with our mail server has been corrected - please give that another try.

--Will

• Alright,

I noticed from your screenshot that the backgrounds align between Illustrator and the simulator, so I don't think this is any kind of general pixel-scaling issue. I just ran a few tests to see how KinomaJS is sizing text and found that it is leaving a margin above and below each line sized so that letters like "q" don't go out of bounds.

I have not used Illustrator in quite some time and don't have a copy available, but to see if it is measuring text differently, you can run the same test I just did. Make a 50px high rectangle and drop a string (font size 50px) like "Tq" in, with the "T" centered vertically. If the "T" touches the top and bottom, but the lower leg of "q" extends below, then we know the two text rendering system are just measuring the font differently. If the "T" floats in the middle with the lower leg of the "q" touching the bottom, then Illustrator is measuring the same way and we'll have to dig deeper.

Cheers,

Will

• The lower leg of the q is still within the 50px rectangle. I'll e-mail you a screenshot.