Where can I find user documentation that describes how to build applications on KinomaJS for Win?

I installed tools and I am able to build and run ball.exe in the Kinoma Simulator on Windows 7. (per instructions at https://github.com/Kinoma/kinomajs) How can I build other examples on Windows 7 using VS2013 Developer Console? I created a copy of balls directory to balls2 and changed all the references in .xml files from balls to balls2. But when I invoke the command $ ant -Dtarget.platform=win only ~/bin/win/Release/balls is created.

Answers

• Answer ✓

Hello -

Thank you for your feedback. At this point only the balls application is provided in the kinomajs repository. The ant build is configured to build that app. Of course you can run most of the sample apps on Windows from Kinoma Studio.

Is there something in particular you'd like to learn more about in the native code runtime sources? You may find our KinomaJS Open Source Implementation tech note helpful when exploring the source code.

Regards, Brian

• Thanks Brian for the pointer to the TechNote. Are there any instructions available to modify the configuration for the ant build to add another application? Since only platform readily available is Windows PC, want to learn application development similar to node.js flow.

Does Kinoma Studio on Windows use the same open source KinomaJS framework that is released on GitHub?

• Answer ✓

Hello -

There are currently no instructions for how to modify the ant build. It's a good suggestion and I'll forward your request to our build team.

That said, Kinoma Studio on Windows does use the same KinomaJS open source framework. Specifically, the desktop simulators that host the applications and runtime are built with KinomaJS. In fact you can link to the native KinomaJS source code from Kinoma Studio, to view the source and stack traces when exceptions are thrown. This tech note shows how to set that up.

A great way to learn KinomaJS application development is to browse and run the sample apps. The sample apps can be installed from Kinoma Studio by selecting "Install Examples..." from the Help menu. Choose a sample app from the displayed scrolling list and tap the Install button. The sample app will be installed into your workspace. You can then run the sample app, browse and modify the code and set breakpoints.

Lastly you might want to take a look through our KinomaJS documentation page. Here you'll find links to KinomaJS overview and reference documents, tech notes, projects and tutorials.

Regards, Brian

• edited June 2015

I installed Kinoma Studio on Windows 7 and tried some of the examples as suggested. When I run the "console" example in the simulator, I do not see the footer band (and its contents). I am able to see the message from a browser window with URL = http://127.0.0.1:10001/console?message=Hello World updating the console window. Is there an issue with configuration of the simulator I need to adjust?

• Answer ✓

Hello -

Are you running the console app in the Kinoma Create simulator? If so, please make sure the Kinoma Create simulator and screen is in full view. I am able to run the app and see the footer in the Kinoma Create simulator from Windows 7 running under Parallels. The footer displays the simulator device's IP address.

Also, is your Windows 7 box connected to a network? I'm asking because you are using a local address to communicate with the browser.

Regards, Brian

• Yes I am running the console app in "Desktop Simulator". Now I tried the Kinoma Create simulaor and I can see the footer. Thanks.